Product Design Ideas | SPD 1.1
Product Design Ideas
What have you read, watched, or heard recently that makes you feel hope for the world?
- Technological advancements due to the competition between top hardware manufacturers ie. Nvidia, Intel, AMD, etc.
What is one problem in the world that you think needs to be addressed urgently?
- Global Warming. Recent temperatures in California exceed 100F and for those who don't have AC, such temperatures are hard to tolerate. (19 August 2020)
If you could teach your friends about one thing that matters to you in the world that they might not know much about what would it be?
- Computer hardware technologies. Coming from a background without computers, the idea of the internet is truly fascinating, and being able to connect with the world is something everyone needs to have.
- What technologies has this domain not yet adopted?
Transportation: Widespread location services on vehicles.
Technology: Technology advancements had always been to advance in sophistication however that leaves 3rd world families behind.
Science: Science isn't always about moving forward, thinking back on what science had done shows many environmentally hazardous situations in which we need to account for.
- What is the most annoying thing about this domain?
Transportation: Finding parking in the 20th century is impossibly hard.
Technology: Computer technology requires internet access but in exchange, you could access information from the other side if the world.
Science: Science either help the world or accelerate its destruction, few do both and many accelerate earth’s destruction.
- What is recent news of new things happening in this domain?
Transportation: Tesla and its subscription-based software in vehicles.
Technology: Intel dropping out in producing CPUs and focusing on silicon.
Science: Fusion reactor development.
P. Takes a long time to find parking because of the number of cars everywhere.
S. Create a program to keep track of where there are cars and where there aren't.
P. Lower-income families can't afford technologies and will get left behind.
S. A website sharing sources of affordable/free second-hand technologies.
P. Advanced sciences focus on the cutting edge rather than the preservation of the environment.
S. Create a calculator that weighs the pros and cons of user action to help or destroy the environment.
Technology PEST analysis:
- Political headwinds include no governmental connections as a starter, and the government requires reliable hardware that current companies already bring/ have a reputation for.
- Tailwinds include the government promoting the use of technology. ie. Political figures all use social media and have a social presence.
- Headwinds include other tech companies trying to shut you down with their connections and technology being expensive, especially for newer hardware.
- Tailwinds are, if successful, there are lots of profits from this region.
- Headwinds would be that no one would buy from a no-name especially for long term objects. Older generations don't know how to use/ might be against newer technology.
- Tailwinds newer generations of people are all into technology
- Headwinds include lots of knowledge needed for the development of technology.
- Tailwinds are that we are in the age of technology. Software and hardware are both needed.
The value in user interviews is that you get real-life practical feedback from users of your specified field. Interviews I’ve done with the question of what had been the most complicated thing to deal with in transportation/ cars resulted in many stating car crashes and managing auto payments. My interviewees had been people who use their cars/transportation methods on a daily basis. Feedback I’ve received were information on the process of filing a claim requiring, but not limited to, policy number, pictures, date & time of the incident, Driver’s license, license plate number, etc. Solutions I’ve come up with would be an app that allows one to record the information upon the scene and transmitting the information straight to the insurer.
My design idea helps everyday drivers easily report a car accident/manage auto-payments easily using an app that composes claims/emails using user inputs and displays the process of different tasks.
My journey to this design originated from another idea from my peers about an app that reported potholes simply by taking a picture. I thought that instead of potholes and to the government, users could report crash accidents to their insurance company.
Because car crashes are hectic and a headache to figure out, this app will simplify the process into a 5-minute typing experience reducing prolonged irritation at subjected drivers.
My product is meant to be simple, select the task and the frame will be outlined for you. Any saved text will be auto-filled into their respective fields so effectively, all you would have to do is explain your situation in 1 or 2 sentences, add a picture and send!
This product design cannot be created with my level of coding experience so it shall be put on hold until otherwise, but eventually, I want to make this app usable for my targetted audience.